Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Sex establishment licence

Any sex shop, sex cinema, or sexual entertainment venue will need a sex establishment licence. This is under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982. 

When we get an application for a sex establishment licence we consider: 

  • the suitability of the applicant
  • the location and suitability for the premises including whether it is close to schools, churches, nurseries, bus stop, other businesses, or people's homes. 

You will need to apply and be granted a licence before you can start trading - tacit consent does not apply. Where a licence is granted conditions, known as model conditions, will be applied to how the business can operate. 

Apply for a sex establishment licence

When you apply we will need to know the details of the business owner, the premises, the proposed trading hours, and any relevant criminal convictions for people responsible for the business. 

You can apply for a sex establishment licence by downloading the form from the related documents section of this page.

There is a charge for an application. 

Return your completed application to: 

Licensing Team
Ashfield District Council
Council Offices
Urban Road
NG17 8DA.

Changes to an existing sex establishment licence

You will need to let us know of any changes to the details on an existing licence.

You can apply for changes to a sex establishment licence by downloading the form from this page, completing and returning to us. There is a charge for making changes. 

How much a licence costs

Type of licence Cost
Sex establishment licence - new, renewal, variation or transfer £3606
Copy of paper licence £5

You will need to send payment by debit or credit card through our online application system.

Pay for your application 

Appealing a decision

If an application or a variation to a licence is refused or if the licence is revoked the licence holder may appeal to the magistrates' court. They have 21 days from being notified of the decision to do this. A licence holder may also appeal to the crown court against a decision of a magistrates' court.

Other ways to contact us about sex establishment licences

If you have questions about the licence or applying you can contact us by: