Equalities and diversity
We know that we have, and have always had, a key role in building a more equal district and will identify and design accessible, inclusive, services that meet the diverse needs of our communities, along with being an excellent employer for people of all backgrounds.
Our Equalities Scheme 2022 – 2026 explains our duties and role in respect of equality and diversity and sets our objectives to meet these. Each year a Position Statement will be published to demonstrate what progress has been made against the objectives each year. The information covers progress towards our objectives up to December 2022.
- Ashfield District Council Equalities Scheme 2022 To 2026 [DOCX 34Kb]
- Equalities Scheme Position Statement 2022 [DOCX 46Kb]
We are committed to developing a workforce that continues to reflect our local community in regard to the protected characteristics and monitor our workforce against the local labour market profile in respect of:
- marital status.
You can view our annual workforce profile reports here:
- Annual workforce report 2022 [DOCX 139Kb]
- Annual workforce report 2021 [PDF 398Kb]
- Annual workforce report 2020 [PDF 220Kb]
- Annual workforce report 2019 [PDF 687Kb]
- Annual workforce report 2018 [PDF 243Kb]
- Annual workforce report 2017 [PDF 528Kb]
- Annual workforce report 2016 [PDF 1Mb]
- Annual workforce report 2015 [PDF 372Kb]
- Annual workforce report 2014 [PDF 356Kb]
Gender pay gap
Data from the 2021 census show us that:
- Population size has increased from 119,497 in 2011 to 126,305 in 2021 (+5.7%). This is lower than the overall increase for England (6.6%) and the East Midlands (7.7%)
- 19.7% of the population are over 65, an increase of 22.5% from 2011, and 18.6% are 15 years or younger, an increase of 4% from 2011
- 50.3% of our residents described themselves as having no religion, an increase of 16.5% from 2011 and 42% residents described themselves as Christian, a decrease of 16.2% since 2011
- 96.4% of households had English as their main language.
2021 census key statistics are currently being released, as and when they are available they can be found at the Office for National Statistics website, along with the full key statistics from previous census.
Further information about equalities in Ashfield can be found at:
- website: Local Government Association - Basic facts about Ashfield broken down by Ward
- website: Nottinghamshire Insight - select Ashfield in the district profile section
- website: Nomis web - official census and labout market statistics - select Ashfield in the Local Authority profile section.