Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Dropped kerbs

Installation of vehicular crossing

If you are thinking of installing a driveway on your property or already have one, you will also need a properly installed vehicle crossing - a dropped kerb. A new or improved (widened) access may require planning permission but could be permitted development and not require an application to be submitted.

  • If it is just an access with no new hard standing then you will require planning permission.
  • If the access is onto a classified road (a,b,or c) then you will require planning permission.
  • You can check using the Council’s questionnaire service to see if planning permission is required.

For more information you can visit:

Dropped Kerbs

All new or improved dropped kerbs require the consent of Nottinghamshire County Council

Planning permission

If planning permission is required, you will need to obtain permission from our planning team for the dropped kerb the construction or widening of the access.

You would need to submit a full planning application with an associated fee and plans to show the proposed development. For more information on Planning permission, you can visit our page:

When paying the application fee, you can pay for it directly on our online payment system using a debit or credit card, or can be paid via the planning portal, if you submit your application via their service.

Installing a dropped kerb

When arranging a contractor to install your dropped kerb (after all appropriate permissions have been obtained), you can choose anyone, although they will need to meet certain requirements. They will also need to apply to Nottinghamshire County Council for a permit to carry out the installation.

Problems with dropped kerbs

If you find a problem with a dropped kerb, you can report it to Nottinghamshire County Council via their report a pothole form: