Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Premises licence

A premises licence or club premises licence is needed by any premises for certain activities to be carried out. This is under the Licensing Act 2003. 

What is covered by a premises licence?

Activities covered by the premises licence are: 

  • sale of alcohol
  • supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club, or to the order of a member of a club
  • provision of late-night refreshment (hot food and drinks between 11pm and 5am)
  • ad-hoc events for more than 499 people
  • provision of regulated entertainment.

Regulated entertainment means: 

  • performance of a play
  • exhibition of a film
  • indoor sporting event
  • boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • contest, exhibition or display which combines boxing or wrestling with one or more martial arts (combined fighting sports)
  • performance of live music
  • any playing of recorded music
  • performance of dance
  • entertainment of a similar description to a performance of live music, any playing of recorded music or a performance of dance. 

If the event is a one-off or infrequent a temporary event notice may be more suitable than a premises licence. 

Who can apply?

The person applying for the licence must be aged 18-years-old and have the right to work in the UK. They should be the person who has a business, or proposes a business, which would use the premises for the licensed activities. They could be acting on behalf of a limited company, a partnership, or an education establishment. 

If alcohol is sold there will need to be a designated premises supervisor listed on the premises licence, and that person must hold a personal licence. This person should be the contact in case of any issue and have day-to-day responsibility for the premises to be licensed. 

A provisional statement can be applied for and may be given where a premises is being built or altered. This statement indicates whether a licence is likely to be granted as a result of the work on the premises. 

How to apply

You will need to download the form from the Gov.UK website and complete it before uploading with any relevant supporting documents and payment. You will need a designated premises supervisor consent and a plan of your premises to complete the application process. 

You can pay online as part of the submission using a credit or debit card. 

Apply for a licence

You will need to advertise the application in the local press once it has been submitted and display a notice on the premises. More information can be found in the guidance notes in the documents section of this web page. 

Once you have applied there will be a 28 day consultation period where we may hear from responsible authorities or other interested parties at a hearing. If no representations are made your licence is granted 33 consecutive days after your application - this means tacit consent applies.  

Variation of a licence

If you need to make a small change to the details of your premises licence you can do this through the Gov.UK website. We will need to process this application before consent applies. This is not for changes to the designated premises supervisor

Vary a licence

Transfer of a licence

You may need to transfer your designated premises supervisor consent but if you need to transfer your premises licence you can do that through the Gov.UK website. As long as the form is complete and documents are submitted tacit consent applies immediately.

Transfer a licence

Renew a licence

If you want to renew your licence and pay your annual fee you can do this through the Gov.UK website. 

Renew a licence

Pay a premises licence annual fee

If you want to pay your annual fee you can do this through the Gov.UK website. You can pay using a debit or credit card. Please quote your invoice number when making payment. 

Pay an annual fee invoice

How much does a premises licence cost?

The cost of a premises licence is set nationally and is based on the premises non-domestic rateable value. There is an initial fee for the licence, and then an annual fee to keep the licence in place.  

Non-domestic rateable value None - £4300 £4301 – £33000 £33001 – £87000 £87001 – £125000 £125001 +
New premises or club premises certificate applications and variations £100 £190 £315 £450 £635
Multiplier applied to premises used exclusively or primarily for the supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises - - - £900 £1905
Annual fee £70 £180 £295 £320 £350
Annual Fee multiplier applied to premises used exclusively or primarily for the supply of alcohol for consumption on the premises - - - £640 £1050

For premises licences for premises where large events with a capacity over 5000 people are held there is an additional fee and an extra annual fee.

Additional costs

There may be additional costs to make changes or transfer a premises licence. 

  • provisional statement - £315
  • minor variation to licence - £89
  • change to designated premises supervisor - £23
  • interim authority (due to incapacity, death etc) - £23
  • transfer of premises or club premises licence - £23
  • notification of interest (freeholder) - £21
  • replacement copy of existing licence - £10.50. 

Pay for licences

Other ways to contact us about a premises licence

If you have questions about the licences or applying you can contact us by: