Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Taxi and private hire dual driver licence

To drive a Hackney carriage (taxi), or a private hire vehicle (minicab) you must be licensed as a driver. This is called a dual driver licence as you are able to drive both Hackney carriages or private hire vehicles licensed by us.

The licence allows you to work anywhere in the country, but the vehicles you drive must be licensed here too. If you work for a private hire company they must also hold a private hire operator's licence, granted by the same council the driver and the vehicle are licensed by.

There are a number of mandatory checks needed before you will be licensed and you cannot work as a driver until your licence is granted. We will also carry out a check on the National Register of Taxi Licence Refusals & Revocations (NR3).

If a licence is granted, it lasts for 1, 2, or 3 years (depending on how long you choose when you apply), unless we decide a shorter time is more appropriate following the results of the background checks we carry out.

If you are thinking about applying to be a taxi driver, then you must:

  • hold a current UK DVLA driving licence;
  • have the right to work in the UK;
  • have obtained an enhanced DBS Certificate;
  • have registered that enhanced DBS Certificate to the DBS Update Service; and
  • have been signed off by a Doctor as being medically fit to be a taxi driver.

Apply for a new taxi driver badge and licence

Just follow the 6 easy steps to become a taxi driver with us:

  1. Get an enhanced DBS certificate from “TAXIPLUS”:

    1. Go online to: TaxiPlus.
    2. Follow the instructions on their website.
    3. Enter “Ashfield District Council” where it asks for the name of which Council.
    4. Pay the DBS fee of £53.00 to TaxiPlus.
  2. Get registered with the DBS update service:

    1. Wait until you have received the enhanced DBS certificate from TaxiPlus
    2. Then go online to the DBS update service.
    3. Make a note of your DBS update service registration number.
  3. Pay the new taxi driver application fee (choose your option below):

    1. New Driver 1 Year Badge (£180.00)
    2. New Driver 2 Year Badge (£220.00)
    3. New Driver 3 Year Badge (£260.00)
  4. Get our Driver application pack

    1. Download our Taxi driver application pack
    2. Complete the relevant application forms found at the end of the application pack.
    3. Book an appointment with your Doctor to get the Group II medical assessment carried out.
  5. Contact the Licensing team:

    1. Now that you have your enhanced DBS certificate from TaxiPlus, have registered it to the DBS Update Service, and got your medical form approved by your Doctor, you need to let the Licensing Team know that you are ready to submit your new taxi driver application.
    2. Call 01623 457589 to speak to the Licensing Team, so that we are aware that you will be submitting your application (this allows the Licensing Team to set time aside to process what you send us, as we receive many applications every day).
  6. Submit your new taxi driver application and supporting documents to us by email:

    1. Send an email to and state “New Driver” and your name, and the time and date of the virtual appointment in the subject line of the email.
    2. Attach to the email all of the items listed on page 8 of your driver application pack.
    3. We will contact you by email to confirm everything is ok, or if anything is still missing.

If your new taxi driver application is filled in correctly, and you have sent us all of the necessary supporting documents (as detailed on page 8 of the driver application pack), then we will carry out any necessary background checks to ensure that we would be able to grant you a new taxi driver badge.

If all of the background checks are ok, then you will be sent information to complete our online knowledge test and safeguarding test.

If you pass both of the online tests, we'll grant your new taxi driver badge and license, and send your badge to your home address.

What is the Knowledge test?

The Knowledge test consists of questions relating to the rules and regulations of driving a Hackney carriage or private hire vehicle, an assessment of your English Language skills, and an assessment of your mathematics skills.

What is the Safeguarding test?

The Safeguarding test consists of questions relating to your responsibilities as a Taxi drivers to ensure the safety of vulnerable passengers.

As a Taxi driver you will need to be aware as to the indicators of risk that would enable you to identify a person who is at risk of abuse, neglect, trafficking, and to whom to raise your concerns.

What medical checks are carried out?

You must be fit enough to carry out the demands of the job including carrying luggage or helping passengers in wheelchairs. Some medical conditions mean you are not allowed to drive professionally.

The medical form you submit makes sure we know of any health conditions, or reasons why you might not be able to do the work. The form should be signed by a doctor and existing licence holders must renew their medical form at the ages of 45, 50, 55, 60 and 65. We can ask for a medical form to be submitted more often if we think it is needed.

How much does a licence cost?

There are few elements which need paying for in order to get your dual Hackney carriage and private hire driver licence. You can pay by debit or credit card through our online system when you've submitted your application or at other times.

Type of licence or item Cost (£)
New 1-year Hackney Carriage & Private Hire (Dual) Driver Licence £180.00
New 2-year Hackney Carriage & Private Hire (Dual) Driver Licence £220.00
New 3-year Hackney Carriage & Private Hire (Dual) Driver Licence £260.00
Renewal of 1-year Hackney Carriage & Private Hire (Dual) Driver Licence £160.00
Renewal of 2-year Hackney Carriage & Private Hire (Dual) Driver Licence £200.00
Renewal of 3-year Hackney Carriage & Private Hire (Dual) Driver Licence £240.00
Replacement Identity Badge £15.00
Driver Knowledge Test Resit Fee £15.00
Safeguarding Test Resit Fee £15.00
Amendment to licence £15.00
Copy of licence £5.00

Pay for your application

Who can I work for?

With a taxi and private hire dual driver licence you can drive a Hackney carriage or a driver a private hire vehicle – the vehicles must be also be licensed by us.

If you drive a Hackney carriage you can be hailed in the streets or wait at ranks in the Ashfield area, and do pre-booked work anywhere in the country. If you drive a private hire vehicle, all your work must be given to you by a private hire operator licensed by us.

You can licence a vehicle as a taxi or for private hire through this web page.

Other ways to contact us about taxi and private hire driver licences

If you have a question about licensing or want to make a complaint about a taxi or private hire operator, vehicle or driver, you can contact us by: