Pay your rent online, see latest statements, book and view repairs through the Tenant Portal.
Unsafe gas and solid fuel appliances can produce a highly poisonous gas called carbon monoxide (CO). You can't see, smell or taste carbon monoxide but it can be deadly – it’s a silent killer.
If your Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm activates, contact the gas emergency helpline 0800 111 999.”
If you feel there is an immediate danger from a gas appliance telephone 0800 111 999.
If there is a fault with your central heating, do not use it and let us know on 01623 457999.
What are the risks within your home
Any carbon-producing fuel can produce carbon monoxide which can gather if there is not enough ventilation.
Fuels include gas, coal, wood, coke, biofuel, oil, petrol and diesel. They may be used in your central heating but there is also a risk from fires, cookers, stoves, room heaters, water heaters and barbecues.
It is vital you keep appliances serviced and make sure your home is ventilated well to reduce the risk.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer. There are 6 main symptoms to look out for:
- Loss of consciousness.
You may notice your symptoms appear at home but disappear when you leave. You may also notice other people or pets in your home have similar symptoms.
Other warning signs
Apart from the symptoms you, others, or your pets may experience in your home there are some other signs of a carbon monoxide leak:
- lazy yellow or orange flame on your gas hob rather than a crisp blue
- dark staining on or around appliances
- pilot lights frequently blowing out
- more condensation inside windows.
What to do if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning
If you suspect you have carbon monoxide poisoning:
- get fresh air immediately
- open all doors and windows to ventilate the area
- switch off any appliances and leave the house
- get medical attention and make sure you tell them you think you have carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning so they can give you the right tests and treatment.
If there is an immediate danger from a gas appliance telephone 0800 111 999.
What can you do to stay safe?
You should contact us to have a CO alarm installed free of charge, if you live in one of our properties.
We will come to your home and carry out regular property checks. We'll make sure all fuel burning appliances are checked and safe for use. You can use the Tenant Portal to see when your next property check is due.
You should test your carbon monoxide alarm every month to make sure it is working.
If you do find that your CO alarm is faulty, you should contact us:
- telephone: 01623 457999
Other ways of staying safe
You can also do some things to help stay safe from carbon monoxide leaks and poisoning:
- never cover or block central heating appliances, air vents, grills, air bricks and outside flues as they need a fresh supply of air to work safely
- ensure appliances you're responsible for such as cookers are serviced regularly by competent and qualified engineers
- do not use barbecues generators, or portable fuel burning appliances inside your home or in confined spaces
- do not sleep in the same room as a back boiler unit or solid fuel boiler or fire
- if you suspect a fault with your central heating don't use it. Contact us on 01623 457999
- if you think there is immediate danger from a gas appliance telephone 0800 111 999
- Do not ignore a sounding Carbon Monoxide Alarm contact the National Gas Transport on 0800 111 999
- A Carbon Monoxide alarm is useful back-up precaution but must not be regarded as a substitute for proper installation and maintenance of gas equipment by a Gas Safe registered engineer.