Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Registering a food business

You will need to register your new food business, or let us know you are taking over an existing business, 28 days before you start trading. You can do this online. 

If you need advice before you complete your registration you can contact us or make an appointment to see us. The first hour of advice is free, and further advice is at a competitive price. 

If you need us to visit your business and provide tailored advice for your needs we can do this from £60 (excluding VAT). Contact us to book and pay. 

You may need to make structural changes to your premises to make them fit for use as a food business. The Food Standards website has information on what you need to do to comply  including for those running a catering business from home, and you may need planning or building control permission

Register a food business

Complete the online form and submit it at least 28 days before you start trading or open your business. 

We'll arrange an inspection once we've received your registration. 

Register a food business

Approval for premises 

If you supply products of animal origin - meat, dairy, egg or fish - to other food businesses your premises may need approval. If you sell direct to the public you won't need a licence but do need to register your business. 

There is more information on the Food Standards website about when you do and don't need approval for your premises. 

You can apply for premises approval online and we will arrange an inspection once we've received your application. 

Apply for approved premises

Other ways to contact us about your food business

If you have any questions or are a premises needing to discuss what approval you need in place you can contact us by: