Angel Investors and Venture capitalists
Crowd Funding is a method of funding a project or new venture by raising small amounts of money from many people, typically via the internet. They offer services for you to showcase your project/idea/business to potential investors. Some platforms specialise in certain markets and industries, however, the most popular ones are:
- Crowdcube - UK's most rated crowd funding platform
- Seedrs - great for start-ups, minimum investments of £10
- Kickstarter - great for creative industries, food, music, film, technology
- Indiegogo - the world’s biggest crowdfunding platform
- Funding Circle - investments from £60,000 to £1 million
- Unbound - great for publishing projects, books etc.
- RateSetter - you agree the interest on a loan directly with an investor
- gofundme - great for charities and social enterprises needing support
- Crowdfunder – they don’t always charge a fee for using this platform, it depends on the project you're looking to fund.
Maven Capital Partners
Maven Capital Partners provide a range of funding options to growing businesses. They can offer a range of flexible funding solutions for entrepreneurial businesses at any stage of the growth cycle, including finance of £100,000 to £1.5 million from the Midlands Engine Investment Fund.
- website: Maven Capital Partners
The Minerva Business Angel network
This network has over 150 investors who meet every month in Coventry, Wolverhampton, and Malvern Science Parks. Businesses from all sectors are welcomed and at any operating stage - pre-starts, start-ups and established. They can help you with sourcing funding, introductions to investors and help with your business presentations.
UK Business Angels association
This is a national trade association for angel and early stage investments, representing 650 members that collectively deploy more than £2 billion per annum. Members include angel groups, individual investors, early stage venture capital companies, investment platforms, universities, and accelerators. You can subscribe or become a member to access the full investors list.
- website: UK Business Angels association
Angel investment network
A platform that connects businesses looking for investment and investors with the capital, contacts, and knowledge to help them succeed. They claim to have 274,000 registered investors interested in new projects.
- website: Angel investment network
The Foresight Nottingham fund
Foresight Group, an independent infrastructure and private equity investment manager, has launched the Foresight Nottingham Fund and are looking to invest in high growth businesses with a focus on Nottinghamshire and Nottingham. The Fund is actively looking to invest up to £2 million in high growth businesses already operating in the region as well as those looking to invest in the region.
- website: Foresight Nottingham Fund
Green Angel syndicate
Green Angel Syndicate is a network of specialist investors who are committed to the transition to a greener economy. They have over 350 members, support start-ups and early-stage technology companies developing products and solutions for a more efficient and sustainable use of global resources.
- website: Green Angel syndicate
They focus on investing in female led organisations. Their members tend to invest in ambitious and highly scalable technology businesses with at least 1 woman on the founding team.
- Website: Angel Academe
British Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (BVCA)
They connect institutional investors, fund managers, companies, advisers and service providers together, with our membership currently comprising more than 700 businesses from across the private capital ecosystem. This includes more than 325 private equity and venture capital firms, 100 institutional investors and 220 professional services firms.
Page last updated: 8 December 2023