Scrap metal dealers
Anyone buying or selling scrap metal, including motor salvage businesses, will need a licence. This is covered by the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013.
There are two types of licence:
- site licence - a dealer can collect from all over the country and take it to and from the licensed site
- collector's licence - a dealer can only collect within the area issuing the licence. It does not allow the holder to operate a site.
You may also need a Waste Carriers Licence from the Environment Agency.
You must have a licence in place before you start work - tacit consent does not apply. You could be fined £5000 if you do not hold the right scrap metal licence. Unlicensed sites may be closed.
Apply for a scrap metal licence
To apply you will need to download the scrap metal licence application form from Gov.UK, complete and send with payment and supporting documents to us. We will need to know:
- dealers full name
- dealers address or if company the address of the registered office
- the address of all premises within Ashfield to be used as a scrap metal store.
You can also download the form from the related documents section of this page, or download a variation form.
You can upload your application through the Gov.UK website or send it with payment to:
Ashfield District Council
You can pay by debit or credit card.
If any details change - your address or the address of the registered premises - you must let us know within 28 days.
How much a licence costs
|Type of application
|Site licence - new or renewal
|Site licence - variation to details
|Collector licence - new or renewal
|Collector - variation to details
|Copy of paper licence
Other ways to contact us about scrap metal licences
If you have questions about the licence or applying you can contact us by:
- online form
- telephone: 01623 457589
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org