Development management documents
Development plan documents, supplementary planning guidance, emerging local plan evidence base documents and technical papers, which provide the evidence base for the emerging local plan can be accessed from this web page.
We consider all planning applications against the planning policies set out in the Local Plan (saved policies) and the neighbourhood plans. Where applicable these policies are informed by supplementary planning documents.
- Adopted Local Plan - November 2002 [PDF 4Mb] - contains planning policies to manage development in Ashfield. This is the main document used to decide planning applications. The Ashfield Local Plan Review 2002 sets out policies which were not saved. Therefore, the Plan should be seen in conjunction with information on saved policies.
- Ashfield Local Plan Review Proposals Maps - Local Plan map north sheet [PDF 2Mb] and Local Plan map South sheet [PDF 2Mb] - Identifies specific policies and site allocations, such as housing and employment, from the Local Plan in map format. Adopted November 2002.
- JUS-t Neighbourhood Plan 2017- 2032 [PDF 2Mb] and JUS-t Neighbourhood Plan Appendix E place analysis [PDF 6Mb] - Contains planning policies to manage development substantially covering most of the Parish of Selston. The Local Plan and the Neighbourhood Plan are the main documents, which are used to decide planning applications in the neighbourhood area. More information can be found on the Jacksdale, Underwood, and Selston Neighbourhood Plan web page.
- Teversal Neighbourhood Development Plan 2016-2031 [PDF 1Mb] and Teversal Neighbourhood Development Plan Appendix C design guide [PDF 23Mb] - Contains planning policies to manage development in the area to the north of Sutton in Ashfield including Skegby, Stanton Hill, Teversal, Fackley and Stanley. The Local Plan and the Neighbourhood Plan are the main documents used to decide planning applications in the neighbourhood area. There is more information on the Teversal, Stanton Hill, and Skegby Neighbourhood Plan web page.
- Nottinghamshire County Council and Nottingham City Council Waste Plan - The waste plan sets out the approach to future waste management in Nottinghamshire and Nottingham.
- Nottinghamshire County Council Minerals Plan: The Minerals Plan sets out how much mineral we are likely to need, site specific allocations to meet identified demand and a range of planning policies against which future minerals development will be assessed.
Supplementary Planning Documents
There is more information on the Supplementary Planning Documents web page.
- Residential Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document [PDF 1Mb] - The SPD sets out how we expect the location, form and type of residential development in Ashfield will be considered through the design process. Adopted in November 2014.
- Residential Extensions Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document [PDF 4Mb] - This SPD relates to the design of residential extensions and other householder related development constructed throughout Ashfield. Adopted in November 2014.
- Residential Car Parking Standards Supplementary Planning Document [PDF 3Mb] - The intention of the Residential Car Parking Standards SPD is to provide clarification and supporting guidance to Policies in the Ashfield Local Plan Review 2002 on residential car parking requirements. Adopted in November 2014.
- Guide for Converting Shops to Residential Supplementary Planning Document [PDF 1Mb] - Provides practical advice for developers who are considering converting a shop to a house or flat. Adopted in January 2019.
Historic environment documents
- Local Heritage List - Interactive map which identified accepted or nominated assets for the Local Heritage list in Ashfield.
Conservation area documents
You can find information on all the designated conservation areas on the conservation area web page.
- Annesley conservation area: designated conservation area. Adopted 1999.
- Bagthorpe conservation area: designated conservation area. Adopted 1975, amended 2007.
- Kirkby Cross conservation area: designated conservation area with Article 4 Directive. Adopted 1975, amended 2004.
- Sutton in Ashfield Church and Market Place conservation area: designated conservation area. Adopted 2015.
- Teversal conservation area: designated conservation area. Adopted 1970, amended 2012.
- Hucknall conversation area: designated conservation area. Adopted 2019.
Emerging local plan and other main planning policy documents
The evidence base for the emerging Local Plan is available at:
Technical reports and background evidence
The Council monitoring reports covering the Annual Monitoring Report, Housing Land Monitoring Report, Employment Land Monitoring Report, and Retail Floorspace Survey are available on the monitoring webpage. The Annual infrastructure funding statement provides a summary of financial contributions the Council has secured through Section 106 agreements from new developments for off-site infrastructure works, affordable housing, and highway works completed as part of new developments. Further information on these aspects is available at :
- Section 106 - Infrastructure Funding Statement
- Brownfield land register: an annual register of brownfield land suitable for housing development. This relates only to Part 1 of the register as no sites have been identified in Part 2.
- Self-build and custom build monitoring - The monitoring report sets out in broad terms, the nature of demand according to the register. It also identifies permissions that have been granted that could potentially contribute to meeting that demand.