Local economic information
To help businesses with their relocation decisions, we have created an economic profile for Ashfield.
- Population:131,093 (As of 2021 taken from Lightcast Emsi Burning Glass Economic Report*)
- Working age population (aged 16 to 64): 78,000 (NOMIS, December 2022)
- Our labour force: 67,350 people
- Average wages - £592 per week
- Unemployment - 2885 people (This equates to 3.64% of the working age population) (NOMIS, November 2022)
- Average housing prices - £178,385 (This is 34% lower than regional average)
- Number of businesses - 4226 businesses (As identified in November 2022 from FAME)
- Number of business parks - 13 (See the commercial property page on this website for details)
- Number of retail shops - 700
- Number of people employed in our district - 50,973 (From Lightcast December 2022 report)
- In demand skills include: Warehousing, Nursing, Auditing and Mental Health all are above the the national average in our District (From Lightcast December 2202 Report)
- GDP £3.3 Billion; Ashfield contributes 0.2% to the UK Economy. (From Varbes November 2022)
- Wholesale & Retail
- Transport and storage
Quick Summary of main take away information:
- As of 2021 our population as increased by 5.3% since 2016, growing by 6580. Population is expected to increase by 4.2% between 2021 and 2026, adding 5544.
- Ashfield's labour market retirement risk is about average. The national average for an area this size is 47,905 people 55 or older, while there are 49,116 in Ashfield.
- From 2016 to 2021, jobs have declined by 0.1% in Ashfield from 51,006 to 50,979. This change fell short of the national growth rate of 1.3% by 1.4%.
- Concerning educational attainment, 15.0% of Ashfield residents possess a Degree or equivalent and above - SCQF level 9 (Scottish credit and qualifications framework )(18.6% below the national average), and 7.3% hold a Higher Education below Degree level - SCQF L7-8 (0.7% below the national
- Our top 3 industries in 2021 are Hospital activities, Construction of other Civil Engineering projects and Warehousing and Storage.
- Our top 3 growing industries are Hospital activities, Transportation and Storage, Information and Communication.
If you would like further information, please get in touch with our team:
This page was last updated January 2023.