Find new markets
If you can't grow within your original market, expanding into new markets could boost your revenue and increase the profitability of your business.
You will need to consider those risks carefully when determining market profitability, but there are several ways to access new markets.
The first task is to make meaningful connections with influencers or decision makers, as they can help you to open doors into new markets or expand existing opportunities.
Upcoming in person business events
- 17 May 2023: Automation For YOU?!, Summit Centre, Kirkby in Ashfield
- 16 to 18 May 2023: UKREiiF, Royal Armouries Leeds & Leeds Dock, New Dock, Armouries Drive, Leeds, LS10 1LT
- 7 to 8 June 2023: Med-Tech Innovation Expo at the NEC, North Avenue, Marston Green, Birmingham, B40 1NT
- 8 June 2023: East Midlands People and Skills Summit, West Park Teaching Hub, Loughborough, LE11 3QF
- 14 June 2023: Van Elle Open Day - Sustainability Event. Summit Close, Kirkby in Ashfield, NG17 8GJ. From 9am. You must have booked a place before 18 May by emailing: email@example.com
- 16 June 2023: Power of Partnerships - Driving Change in East Midlands at East Midlands Conference Centre, Beeston Lane, Nottingham, NG7 2RJ
- 28 June 2023: Supply Chain Business Support Event at NTU Mansfield Hub, West Notts College, NG18 5BH
- 28 September 2023: Tech X Fest, Derby Arena, Royal Way, Derby, DE24 8JB
You can also search for local business events on these websites:
- website: University of Derby
- website: University of Nottingham
- website: Nottingham Trent University
- website: D2N2 Growth Hub
- website: East Midlands Chamber
- website: East Midlands Insider
- website: Enterprise Nation - Search by Region
Nottinghamshire County Council
There are a host of local business clubs operating across Nottinghamshire. If you would like to know more about those active in your area, please contact the council's economic development team.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Nottingham Business Network
Connect with over 1500 businesses from all sectors across Nottinghamshire and beyond. This networking group is managed by the University of Nottingham; they provide a range of free events, including talks, workshops, and regular business breakfasts to create opportunities for local small and medium enterprises to connect and collaborate. You will also gain insight into the latest cutting edge research taking place at the university.
NatWest business builder
This is a free online portal which gives access to important business workshops, and also connects you to a Facebook community of over 6000 businesses across the UK.
- email: Charlie Tunnard, Local Enterprise Manager - email@example.com
- website: Natwest business builder
Mansfield and Ashfield 2020 (MA2020)
Mansfield and Ashfield 2020 are a local not for profit organisation and help to connect people, build partnerships and help grow organisations across the Mansfield, Ashfield and surrounding areas. They run regular networking breakfasts, women in business luncheons and have an annual business awards dinner. If you are a local business, then you can also list your company in their directory and attend your first event for free.
- email: Ella McManus, Operations Director – firstname.lastname@example.org
- website: Mansfield and Ashfield 2020
B-Global – The BAME Business Network
B-Global are a black led business network that support start-ups, established and scale up businesses of African heritage and the wider BAME business community in Nottingham City and Nottinghamshire. They provide free services from how to start your business through to help with marketing, finding finance, networking events and more.
- email: email@example.com
- website: B-Global Network
Tech Nottingham aims to create a community of smart people in and around Nottingham, providing an environment in which people can work together, share ideas, and get better at what they do. They hold regular events; these are free, and so you have an opportunity to connect with like minded technology entrepreneurs, and you can also present at these events.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- website: Tech Nottingham upcoming events
- website: Women in Tech, Nottingham (WiT Notts)
Explore free PR opportunities
Love Business News
Raise your company profile with Love Business News.
Love Business News is the only digital media platform in the East Midlands to offer a free point of entry to all businesses to share their positive news stories to more than 21,000 monthly readers. It also offers a wide range of advertising solutions, campaigns and digital marketing solutions to help you increase sales, build brand awareness, engage new audiences, showcase your products and services, make vital new connections and accelerate your growth.
- email: Submit your articles to email@example.com
- website: Love Business East Midlands
- website: Love Business News
Explore trade associations
BE - Built Environment Networking
If you operate in the property or construction sectors, then you need to know about this networking organisation. BE Networking can help you find property investors and infrastructure organisations, in 2 ways, they provide networking opportunities, both in person and online. Their annual meeting is called UKREiiF and its attended by most local authorities across the UK and major property companies. You can also showcase your property for free on their database called REID. This database gives you access investors looking for opportunities.
The leading representative organisation for the UK construction industry, delivering change and improving efficiency. They have members across the UK.
- website: Build UK
The Food and Drink Forum
An industry led, not-for-profit trade body, driving positive change within the food and drink industry. Whether you're a food and drink business or providing services to those within the food and drink sector, they offer a range of membership solutions to support business growth and grants.
- website: Food and Drink Forum Business memberships - Membership provides access to a wide range of benefits including hands-on food technical and business
- website: Food and Drink Forum Associate memberships - Associate membership enables those businesses providing services to the food and drink industry the opportunity to access our network of food and drink
- website: Food and Drink Forum - Free Network membership - provides the opportunity to join a network of like- minded food and drink businesses, whilst receiving updates on legislation, industry trends and grant-funded
Midlands Aerospace Alliance
A membership organisation that offers advice and guidance around developing aerospace market opportunities, identifying technology development partners, and improving operational performances, they also have access to some grant funding.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- website: Midlands Aerospace Alliance
Make UK are a national body and networking organisation for UK manufacturers. They operate a paid membership service, providing members with access to hundreds of industry events, and offers a voice to government. They can help to connect manufacturers to the latest innovative ideas, enabling businesses to achieve their manufacturing objectives and goals.
- email: Chris Corkan, Regional Membership Manager - Midlands and East England - email@example.com
- website: Make UK
EMC North Nottingham Manufacturing Network
The East Midlands Chamber Manufacturing Networks builds on the success of the respected Nottingham Manufacturing Network (NMN). It is a peer to peer membership organisation consisting of a diverse range of manufacturing businesses. They are keen to promote growth in manufacturing and help members to address commercial problems. It’s completely free to join, but you must be a manufacturer.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- website: Nottingham Manufacturers Network
- website: EMC North Nottinghamshire Manufacturing Network
The East Midlands Chamber of Commerce
The East Midlands Chamber of Commerce are a membership organisation offering businesses opportunities to establish connections locally, regional and nationally.
They run networking events, specialist industry forums and staff training workshops, in addition to providing advice on how to develop overseas trade and apprenticeships. They can also assist you to market your services between members and have access to several marketing databases which you pay to use. This can help you source businesses and email contacts to grow your customer base.
- email: email@example.com
- website: East Midlands Chamber of Commerce
Federation of Small Businesses (FSB)
The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) are a membership organisation that support small businesses. They offer a powerful voice heard in local, UK wide and devolved governments across the UK. They also run virtual events, including networking and business surgeries designed to help small business owners find advice, support and guidance. Events are free and open to all small businesses and self-employed.
- email: Gillespie@fsb.org.uk
- website: Federation of Small Businesses
Logistics UK are a one of the biggest business membership organisations in the UK, representing the entire industry, with members from the road, rail, sea and air industries, as well as the buyers of freight services such as retailers and manufacturers. They help to keep logistics operations safe, efficient and compliant, focusing on critical services, support, and advice.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- website: Logistics UK
- telephone: 03301 756 133
Medilink Midlands is the Midlands Life Sciences industry association whose aim is to help companies establish, develop, and grow. It has a network of more than 8000 contacts in over 1700 organisations representing all aspects of the sector; from multi-nationals to high potential start-up companies, as well as the NHS and Universities. Through Medilink Midlands’ ERDF funded INSTILS project, businesses can access one to one support, as well as funding for networking, medical technology trials and innovation support.
- email: Jo Maltby, Innovation Adviser - email@example.com
- website: Medilink
Trade Association regulatory body
Trade associations offer an excellent way to stay up to date with important changes affecting your industry, and offer access to networking events, domestic and overseas trade missions, business advice and information to help grow your operations.
Explore Global Markets
The Department for Business and Trade (DBT)
They can help you to develop relationships with overseas trade partners, negotiate trade agreements and provide businesses with information and guidance - please see their website. They often work through local partner organisations such as the Chamber of Commerce and have funding to support commercialisation, helping small and medium enterprises to access new markets – please visit the Trading overseas and Trade visits overseas pages on this website.
- website: Department for Business & Trade
- website: DBT Connect with International Buyers – Register for free, so buyers can find you.
Explore New Markets in the USA
We are working closely with the city of Mentor, in Ohio, USA, to assist local businesses that want to explore and access markets in the US. If you want to find a US distributor or partner, perhaps source a manufacturer to produce your products over there, or maybe you would like to explore what the city of Mentor can offer as a potential foothold in the US and to expand your operations, then our connections with the City of Mentor will be able to help you.
- email: Kevin Malecek, Director - firstname.lastname@example.org
- website: Explore New Markets in USA - Mentor means business